NRIGirl
Pin It Now!

"Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams. I Samuel 15:22

It is true that the Lord had given specific instructions about burnt offerings and sacrifices in the Old Testament. In course of time it became an easy way out for many with rebellion and disobedience. King Saul was reprimanded by Prophet Samuel for his disobedience. Saul could have thought he could quickly undo his act by making some amendments in terms of offerings.

King David on the other hand seems to have a clear handle on what is expected by the Lord. He says in Psalm 51:16-17:  You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

In Proverbs 21:3 we read: To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

Prophet Micah has said: What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8)

In Jeremiah 7:22-23 God clarifies His commands about sacrifices: He says, "When I brought your forefathers out of Egypt and spoke to them, I did not just give them commands about burnt offerings and sacrifices, but I gave them this command: Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in all the ways I command you, that it may go well with you."

It is evident from these Scriptures that no sacrifices will please God than our humble spirit, broken heart and obedience. Is that hard?
0 Responses

Post a Comment

So, how did you enjoy your coffee with Jesus? Care to share?