NRIGirl
Pin It Now!


25 Everyone who competes in the games trains with strict discipline. They do it for a crown that is perishable, but we do it for a crown that is imperishable. 26Therefore I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight like I am beating the air. 27No, I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:25-27

Paul compares the Christian life to a foot race, which is very familiar to the Church in Corinth. What he insists by this comparison is that:

CHRISTIAN LIFE IS A PASSAGE - FROM SIN TO HOLINESS, FROM EARTH TO HEAVEN. It is a daily movement. We need beware of stumbling blocks, of straying from the right course, of indulgence which may hinder, of violation of laws, of loitering, since the time is short.

CHRISTIAN LIFE IS A CONTEST WITH ENEMIES. The "race" does not fully illustrate it. We have opponents, many and resolute. We have a trinity against us as well as for us - the world, the flesh, and the devil. We have not only to "run," but to "fight."

SUCCESS MEETS WITH REWARD. Contrast the crowns of earth with the crown of heaven. Many do so much for a corruptible crown, and we so little for an incorruptible one. A garland of leaves and a day's popularity: paradise and life eternal.

MANY SPECTATORS WITNESS THE CONTEST. The eyes of the ungodly are upon us. Fellow Christians watch us closely. The angels behold us, and are "ministering spirits" to us. Perhaps victors of the past, perhaps those who have failed in race and fight, watch us. The King sees us - the Judge - he who holds "the crown of righteousness" for those who have "fought a good fight" and "finished the course." "Wherefore seeing," etc. (Hebrews 12:1, 2). When we think of the race and fight, we should ponder Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." - E. Hurndall

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7

0 Responses

Post a Comment

So, how did you enjoy your coffee with Jesus? Care to share?