NRIGirl
Pin It Now!

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. Psalm 62:5

King David often talks to his inner self, which I find quite interesting. Often he is upbeat and tells himself: "Praise the Lord,O my soul!" (Psalm 104:1), "Forget not His benefits,O my soul" (Psalm 103:2), "Bless the Lord, O my soul" (Psalm 104:1). Then there are times his despair is quite evident such as: "Why are you downcast, O my soul?" (Psalm 43:5), "Be at rest once more, O my soul" (Psalm 116:7), "my soul is troubled exceedingly..."(Psalm 6:3), etc.

Here, in Psalm 62: 5 King David reminds his soul to be calm about the prevailing situation and encourages that his help comes from the Lord. He is giving hope to a soul that is ready to give up waiting.

Barne's notes on the Bible explains:
The idea here is, that all that he expected or hoped for must come from God. He did not rely on his fellow men; he did not rely on himself. God alone could deliver him, and he confidently believed that God would do it.

Often are we in such circumstances that we feel that our only "expectation" - our only hope - is in God. All our strength fails; all our resources are exhausted; our fellow-men cannot or will not aid us; our own efforts seem to be vain; our plans are frustrated, and we are shut up to the conclusion that God alone can help us.

So we get the message. We need not panic or despair; but train our souls to be calm. Let us repeat King David's statement to ourselves: "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him!"

Amen! It will!
0 Responses

Post a Comment

So, how did you enjoy your coffee with Jesus? Care to share?