NRIGirl
Pin It Now!

Praise be to the Lord my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.

He is my loving God and my fortress,
my stronghold and my deliverer,
my shield, in whom I take refuge,
who subdues peoples under me.

Part your heavens, Lord, and come down;
touch the mountains, so that they smoke.
Send forth lightning and scatter the enemy;
shoot your arrows and rout them.

Reach down your hand from on high;
deliver me and rescue me
from the mighty waters,
from the hands of foreigners
whose mouths are full of lies,
whose right hands are deceitful.

I will sing a new song to you, my God;
on the ten-stringed lyre I will make music to you,
to the One who gives victory to kings,
who delivers his servant David.
~ Psalm 144:1-9

During the Jacobite rebellion of 1745, Colonel Gardiner, the friend of Dr. Doddridge, and Christian soldier, who was afterwards killed at the battle of Preston-pans, went to Stirling to a meeting of the gentlemen of that town to devise means of opposing the Highlanders, who were approaching under Prince Charles. 

Wishing to encourage his listeners to make every effort, he dwelt on the deficiencies of the opposing army, showed them its weaknesses, and somewhat boastfully declared that if he were only at the head of a certain regiment which he had formerly commanded he would not fear to encounter the whole rebel force, and he was sure he would then give a good account of them. 

Just then the Rev. Mr. Erskine, who stood by the Colonel's side, whispered into his ear, "Say under God, Colonel." At once Gardiner turned, and the hero of a hundred fights replied, "Oh, yes, Mr. Erskine, I mean that, and with God as our General we must be conquerors."

Christians should never forget that God is their General. It is He who is in command, and who brings the victory.
0 Responses

Post a Comment

So, how did you enjoy your coffee with Jesus? Care to share?